lørdag den 9. februar 2019


Columns

On the front lines of autonomy

Can you learn English without a logbook? No.

Frank Lacey
Ådalens Privatskole, Denmark




Frank has been teaching languages for eons. About 10 years ago his teaching practice was seriously disturbed by Leni Dam. Since then his lessons have been scenes of chaos, which he calls autonomy. Frank tends to be rather passionate about a lot of things, such as autonomy.





Can you learn English without a logbook? I suppose evidence shows that you can, but the most effective learning tool in my classrooms is, without a doubt, the student’s logbook.
I am a fundamentalist when it comes to textbooks. I fully agree with Christine Frank and Mario Rinvolucri who say:
“If we consider the students in our class to be more interesting than the rather cardboard characters found in traditional textbooks, it follows that a real need exists for activities … more emotionally relevant than practicing them in the make-believe world of a textbook.”
My students usually have several years' experience with textbooks with previous teachers and in other subjects. I regularly ask if they would like to go back to using them but to date no student or class of mine has ever wanted to return to (the dark side of) textbooks. My students know from personal experience that autonomy works and that in my class autonomy means logbooks.
In my autonomous classroom students can choose:
                     How they want to learn English.
                     What they want to work with.
                     Whom they want to work with.
                     …and they evaluate their own learning.
The price for this is that they MUST write a logbook which tells me:
1.                   What they are doing.
2.                   Why they are doing it.
3.                   How they are doing it.
4.                   What they have learnt.
5.                   …and I also expect them to tell me about their free reading (a topic I discussed in my previous column).
The five questions might suggest that student logbooks are boring. However, in reality they are anything but!
I give my students considerable freedom to take responsibility for their learning. That does not mean that I abandon my responsibility as teacher. On the contrary, it is now my responsibility to ensure that each individual student is making progress. I have six classes and thus have to monitor approximately 150 students; my most effective means of doing that is logbooks.
Logbooks give me excellent documentation of the individual students' work and learning. But they do more than that – they also encourage learning. In my experience, the more a student writes in his/her logbook, the better they will become at English. It isn’t all that strange. If you want to get better at running, it is a good idea to run. Quantity and application produce quality.
So now I shall give you an example (some excerpts from the last few months) of the real thing. This is a logbook written by a 15-year-old girl called XXXX (her name has been changed here to ensure privacy). I have been teaching Sally English and German since the 5th class and she is now in the 9th class. Sally was not good at English in the 5th and at the beginning of the 6th class. She was one of the weakest students in the class. I suggested that she try to write much more in her logbook and that she should also try to read free reading books. Sally was unusually quick to accept this advice and she added an extra element. Her logbook was handwritten and soon became a work of art with small pictures, decorated margins, and lots of different colours in the written text. Over the past two years, Sally has become one of the best students in the class, although still quite a shy girl. She is also incidentally an elite athlete, training 4 hours every day plus transport time to and from training.
Right, then, to the logbook, which is unedited.
Sally
25 September
Hello! Today is Monday, and we are having English. I want weekend. But how (ed: who) doesn't want English? But anyway, we are reading free reading. My free reading book is too big for my bag so I can't bring it. My free reading book is actually about being a teenager in the US, kind of. But today I'm going to training we are actually having a break from training these weeks, but I just can't stop myself from training, so I'm still training like 5 times a week.
We are reading about teens in America, I thought it was an interesting topic, but it's not. It's so strange. I fell like its all over the place. I really liked the "Dreams and identity" topic, but this is just wired. Weird.
Today we are reading a lot. We are mostly reading about the purity ring, really strange thing. Anyway, I heard you couldn't say "anyways", you can only say "anyway", without an s, it that right? [Frank’s response: yes the other is slang] Its already 1.18 PM, whattt, where did the time go? I fell like we just started the lesson. I have so much homework, our naturfagsprøve is nearly done, I worked so hard on that and it fells so good nearly to be done.
In the weekend I went to the last competition of the year, its just for fun, and I paddled with a man in k2. It was so fun, we paddled 14 km, and I got so tired. We ended up on a 2 place in senior k2 mix, we won over Julie and her k2 partner, Klaus. It was so fun. We didn't got a medal, we got a t-shirt, but I don't care because I didn't did it for the medal, I did it because I wanted.
8 December
Hello! Today is the 8'th of December, I love December. This weekend I'm going to Silkeborg for a national team corpus, it's not a test, just a corpus. I'm going to paddle k2 with Sara from Hellerrup, I told you about her before, she is really good. But I'm better.
If you didn't know Julie is Nominated for BESTSELLERs Olympic Hope 2017. She is nominated with 2 other boys, and it's such a big nomination. Athletes like Viktor Axelsen have won it before. One of the prices is 100.000kr. I think you can se it in the television when there is Sports Galla. Wow tell me more Sally, Frank
National team corpus
Hello! So right now I'm sitting in a train on my way home from a national team corpus in Silkeborg. There is around 2 hours before I'm home, and it's 3 hours since we left.
We paddled k2 and k4 this weekend, in every training my boat was the leading boat, yes. But we also had one test, actually tow. Chins and leg raises. I made 20 chins in a row and 23 leg raises. I was the 4'th best girl, the only girls who where better than me were girls how are so tiny and don't have any weight to lift, so I'm glad I made as many as I did. You are so cool Sally, Frank
13 reasons why - Free reading
Cassette 1: side B
So this tape was Jessica's. Jessica and HSally h met each other at some kind of before school teacher something, because they where both new students. They started hanging out at Monet's, a cafe. And there they got to know Alex, their new friend. They where friends for the first 5weeks of school, but then the HOT OR NOT list came out and Jessica started making problems for Hannah.
11 December
Hello! Today is Monday, and we are watching projects and reading essays. I read Marie's, Sara's and Casandra's.
Sarah - Sibling sex
Really good, I learned a lot. I think you had lots of good points and I really liked how you presented it, like the Power Point setup and not too much talk. Very good answers to the questions, and good questions. Your what you learned slide was really good, and now I know working on my own isn't a thing for me, because I realized you don't have anyone to talk to and with.
Between 7 August and 10 December Sally wrote 5764 words in her logbook!
The few paragraphs that I have included here give me a very clear insight into who Sally is, what she thinks, and what is important in her life. I also receive a valuable evaluation of the texts that I have used – she tells me that she thinks that they are both weird (“wired”) and surprising.
Sally also uses her logbook to communicate directly with me and she tells me that Julie, one of my former students, is doing well in the same sport.
And she tells me about her free reading, ”13 Reasons Why”, and another heavier book that she was reading earlier in the year.
Finally, she evaluates a project presentation by another student. I would have liked if she had been more precise and told me what she learned rather than “I learned a lot”.
Her style is personal, relaxed, and communicative, and documents her learning – in other words, a very good logbook.
The critical reader might say, “yes, fine, but this is a good student, what about students with greater challenges?” To this I would reply, “Sally  was not a good student, but her use of her logbook helped her to become one”.
In my future columns I shall feature logbooks from students who are less motivated, looking at how they use their logbooks.
References
Frank, C. and Rinvolucri, M. 1991. Grammar in Action Again: Awareness Activities for Language Learning. Hemel Hempstead: Prentice Hall.



Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar